Sunday, March 12, 2006

Karaoke juice

Oh, the things one finds in Chinatown: most recently, liquid green crack in a cup. We stopped into a tea room looking for a pre-karaoke pick-me-up, and ordered what we (or I, at least) thought was going to be regular black, herbal and green teas. Sarah's was the sweetest-tasting, and purplish-grey in hue. Rebecca's was the exact color and taste of an apple Jolly Rancher. I ordered a matcha green tea and it arrived milky green with tiny gelatin cubes at the bottom. I wish I'd thought to take a picture of it, but here's an approximation:



We each ordered jumbo pots because hey, we had over an hour to kill. Sip and talk, sip and talk. Within a quarter-hour, we were all wide-eyed and jittery, tapping our feet and yammering loudly about our cats.

Even though the sweet taste made our teeth hurt, it was the perfect prelude to a night out. I didn't even fall asleep and drool in the cab on the way home. But I did toss and turn all night (very rare for me), and at one point had a dream that all my female friends were having a writers' retreat in an old Victorian home, and I awoke at 4:30AM with a brilliant idea for a novel, which I really wish I could recall right now. I do know that it was about Sarah, but I was going to disguise that fact by calling her character "Allison." Clever! Four and a half hours later, I lay in bed with eyes wide open thinking, "I should use all this energy to go to the gym. I could just get up and go to the gym right now. Wait, is the gym even open this early?!"

I mean, this is TEA. This is why I don't party Lohan-style.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My question is, did you mix this mystery drink with alcohol? You should be careful when combining drugs like this. Or were you so hopped up on strange tea that booze was unnecessary?

On second thought: If you can figure out what this stuff is, you let me know.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home