Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Slippery Slope

This post, from Brownstoner (coupled with this one from Gawker) draw attention to the winds of change a-blowin' through my corner of Brooklyn. I live in the hot neighborhood du jour? And said neighborhood extends all the way to 24th Street and 3rd Ave.? Jigga wha?

Real estate agents are fond of hyperbole; we all know that. But even provided that fact, this definition is a major stretch. I've always thought of our block, with its charming view of the Prospect Expressway, as the southern tail-end of Park Slope. If you consult maps that are more than a few years old, where I live is not Park Slope at all, but Windsor Terrace: Park Slope ends at 15th Street, or even, on very old maps, 9th Street. And our street does have a borderland vibe: Walk one direction and you're on boutique-hipster-bar-and-restaurant-laden 7th Avenue. Walk the other way, and you're in what a friend of mine terms "vinyl siding land" -- no brownstones, no hipster bars, and a markedly different set of residents (such as FGoaB).

For clarification, 24th Street is nearly 10 blocks south of where I live, and four avenues west. I haven't been down that way in a couple years, but I think I can safely assume that it still looks and feels nothing like Park Slope. And if we want to get technical -- it's not even on a slope. The big hill that supposedly protects me and my neighbors from impending hurricane surge effectively ends at 4th Avenue.

So let's think up a new name for this neighborhood. Apparently we can't just call it Sunset Park anymore. South-South-Slope is silly. "Greenwood Heights," another real estate eupheism I've heard bandied about, is ridiculous because, like I said, there are no heights or slopes on 3rd Avenue. Maybe since my 'hood is no longer called Windsor Terrace, we can start calling this new neighborhood Windsor Terrace, just to keep the name in the family. Suggestions??

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home