Wednesday, November 02, 2005

MoDo Rising

Haven't you heard? It's Maureen Dowd week!

New York Times - What's a Modern Girl to Do?

New York - Maureen Dowd's Dangerous Charm

I've never counted myself as a Maureen Dowd fan; even when I agree with the gist of what she's saying in her op eds, I'm often turned off by the way she says it. The Times Magazine piece was a bit different, though. It was thoughtful (seven online pages' worth of thoughtful, in fact), and it struck a chord with some of the women I know, and it at least makes me feel compelled to steal a glance at her new book, but more than that -- it gave me new insight into the heretofore obscure mind and world of MoDo.

Maureen Dowd was never one of those "grubby, unisex jeans and no-makeup" feminists. Maureen Dowd and her girlfriends have had their share of guy trouble. Maureen Dowd is -- gasp! -- like Carrie Bradshaw!

And then I read Ariel Levy's profile of her in this week's New York, which aroused in me the sneaking -- and not a little unnerving -- suspicion that Maureen Dowd might be kind of awesome. I totally want to hang with her and her NY Times girl gang, cruising the Creme de la Mer counter at Saks and dishing about Pulitzers and ex-boyfriends with Alessandra and "Michi." We'd play practical jokes on John Tierney and guffaw about it afterward while shopping for stilettos!

Alas, MoDo, I never knew ye, and now it's too late. You're behind the wall of Times Select, and I may never get to read your column again. I mean, unless I buy the actual print version of the New York Times (ha!).

In the meantime, can we have a follow-up column on that Times article? I still have no idea who should pay for my profiteroles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home