Friday, October 14, 2005

Confound You, Keanu

Just when I'm prepared to write you off, you have to show up in Thumbsucker and completely rock the house as a wolf-worshipping new age orthodontist.


I'm quite the fan of early Keanu. What cold-hearted cynic couldn't love Bill and Ted? (Somewhere at my parents' house, I even own the soundtrack for 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey' on cassette tape.) He was also great in 'Parenthood,' where he got to deliver the iconic line: "You know, Mrs. Buckman, you need a license to buy a dog, to drive a car - hell, you even need a license to catch a fish. But they'll let any butt-reaming asshole be a father."

Oh, and let's not forget his work in Paula Abdul's "Rush, Rush" video. Wooo!

So it's not that he's a bad actor. I think he's just really, really perfect for some roles, and in others the combination of deadpan delivery and earnest expression doesn't play well. However, after 'Thumbsucker,' he's completely forgiven for obliterating my preteen movie star crush with the clunker 'A Walk in the Clouds.'

I'll say it: I like Keanu. Again. In 15 years or so, he'll be a hipster icon a la Bill Murray and we will have a Keanu Renaissance on our hands. Mark my words.

I also really liked young actor Lou Pucci, who played the main character in 'Thumbsucker.' He's got this Wiley Wiggins-in-Dazed and Confused thing going on -- I think it's the hair hanging in his eyes. Wiley Wiggins, where have you been?

(Oh, I just found his blog. Now I know!)



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF? Wiley Wiggins has a blog? And there is nary a link to it in this entry? *grabs bridge of nose in protest, shaking head a la Wiley* Shame, shame! :)

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home