Monday, June 12, 2006

Netflix

Today I finally joined Netflix.

It's not that I didn't hear about it two years ago along with everyone else; it's just that I'm generally slow to embrace new trends and/or technology, even if (like Netflix) they are the MOST INGENIOUS INVENTION EVER. Also, I'm more of a movie-goer than a movie-renter, because there is no movie theater popcorn in my home, and movie-watching for me is mainly a front for popcorn gluttony. However, I've long loved the idea of Netflix, even though it's taken me so long to make use of it. This is truly what the Internet was meant for: making our lives easier, while enabling laziness.

My first order of business was to queue up Troop Beverly Hills, because we are having a Troop Beverly Hills party this weekend. Next in my queue (queue: funnest word to type? yes.) is Season 1, Disc 1 of Entourage. I already know that TV series are going to make up the bulk of my Netflix rentals. After Entourage, I'm going to blow through Deadwood, Weeds and Season 2 of Veronica Mars. Then, if I don't want to cancel my membership yet, I may start in on the Sopranos, which I have never seen (see "slow to embrace new trends," above; also see "has not had HBO since lived with parents, OK?").

I think it's quite possible that the very first movies one rents on Netflix offer a window into one's innermost soul. Think about it: unlimited access to an entire library of weird wonders that you might not have thought of in years, AND no one ever has to know that you rented them. If ever you were embarrassed to check out "She's All That" for fear your snooty Brooklyn video store clerk would sneer at you over his thick-framed glasses (this is pure conjecture -- my local Extreme Video isn't much for hipster clerks), Netflix offers you a safe haven.

Obviously, my soul is that of a person with '80s nostalgia who lacks cable or DVR. Someone else I know (who lives in my building and shall remain nameless) kicked off his Netflix subscription with Top Gun, Mary Poppins and Dances With Wolves. I'm not trying to judge; I'm just saying. Tell me: what were the first movies you 'flixed?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miller time! Look me up on Netflix by typing in my email...if you add me as a friend, you can see my queueueue and steal my movie ideas. That's what I do to other people all the time.

Post script: "I can see your queue" is now my favorite not-perverse-but-sounds-like-it-anyway phrase.

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home