Thursday, September 01, 2005

Narcissian Tragedy

I was hopping around on the blogosphere today and came across this item, courtesy of Lindsayism: it seems that well-known blogger Stephanie Klein has accused another blog of plagiarizing her work.

I don't read Ms. Klein's blog. I tried once after she was profiled in the Times, but I found I couldn't get through a single entry -- they're too long and self-analytical and filled with the kinds of things I can't imagine would be of interest to anyone who doesn't know her (though that's apparently not the case, judging from her reportedly wide readership). But it seems to me that she's afflicted by the same misconception that plagues a lot of newbie writers and freelance journalists and gets dispelled very quickly (or rather, it should) once you've been in the game or spent any amount of time on an editorial staff. Quite simply: your ideas, your opinions, even your personal experiences, aren't anywhere near as original as you think they are. If you've thought of an idea for a piece, odds are that someone, somewhere, has also thought of covering the same thing in a similar way. Think about it: we all live in the 21st century; we watch the same TV shows (ahem, Sex and the City, Ms. Klein), have heard of the same bands, read the same books in college, have been to the same places -- hell, many of us media folk live right here in New York. The result? No idea exists in a bubble. It's born of the same influences and experiences that shape everyone else's ideas. To believe otherwise is the equivalent of a first-grader yelling "copycat!!" to the teacher because some other kid also drew a blue house during fingerpainting hour.

I can see why this might have failed to register for Ms. Klein. She hasn't worked as a professional journalist, she's never before had an audience for her written work -- let alone a nationwide following -- and she's receieved a lot of publicity and praise for her blog. But dude, you have got to let it go and stop jumping all over people. If they want to satirize you, let 'em -- it's their right, and face it, you're an easy target. If someone, god help them, really is imitating you... so what? It doesn't matter. It really doesn't. Also, plagiarism is a much dirtier word than you think it is. You don't point fingers lightly. I won't innumerate all the ways in which your case doesn't fit the bill, but there's no way in hell. Sorry. (And not to bite the hand that feeds this blog, but I have to wonder at Blogger for the role they played in encouraging Ms. Klein's unfounded ego-tripping -- namely, shutting down the accused copyright-infringers. Why??)

I'm no self-styled superstar journo-blogger, but I did have the random experience of having a feature I put together at work magically show up on the pages of Reader's Digest. It was pretty clear that they'd seen it, liked the idea, and devised their own little charticle using a lot of the same information I did. And you know what? It was awesome. I got to run around for a week telling my friends how Reader's Digest ripped me off. Hey, I'll take my flattery where I can get it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came across your blog through technorati and have to say as an investigative journalistic, you don't seem to do your job. First, when I read about the plagiarism thing, I looked into it(being a first amendment junkie). Seems Blogger lawyers take things down if they believe they can get sued and lose. The post on Lindsayism says The site peeps had the opportunity to rebut to Blogger but didn't...hmmm. I saw cached posts from that site and they were plagiarism not satire. now the site is 100% parody and funny as shit(albeit getting stale). stealing sucks, dude. You should have been angry about the Reader's Digest theft. Allowing someone to bitch slap you doesn't make it right. Looking further, seems kleiny klein was a food critic. so your 2nd assertion is wrong. She did write before. I'm sure there are others but I'm tired from binge drinking this weekend. Just figured i'd rant on your rant a bit. Looking at things objectively is a hobby of mine.

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Anonymous, for pointing out that Klein has worked as a food writer. My mistake. This blog is in no way about "investigative journalistic" but as long as people are finding it on technorati, I should at least take the time to get my facts straight. Sorry.

Now, about this Reader's Digest thing: Reader's Digest DID NOT plagiarize my work. They DID NOT steal from me. If their piece was in fact inspired by mine, that's neither plagiarism nor stealing, and it's not wrong in any way. So no -- I'm not mad!

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MTL,

Thanks for the rescind. You're a good writer and ethical not emotional. means a lot when the world is full of bullshit. I'm boycotting Reader's Digest anyway, dammit!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home